Monday, May 26, 2008

driving in cars with boys, the sequel

I think one of the most nerve-wracking parts of a first date, as a female, is when you have to get into a car with someone who is in fact a total stranger.
You are basically putting your life into the hands of someone you (maybe) have never met, and at the same time, make small talk with someone who is supposed to show 100% interest in whatever you're saying while also being 100% focused on the road. I flunked math in high school, but I'm pretty sure it isn't humanly possible to have 200% attention to give.
Then there's the whole body-positioning inner-dialogue/debate that goes on: Am I shlumping in my seat? Should I shlump more? Will that seem like I'm being more casual? Should I sit up straight? Will that show that I'm more lady-like? Is it ok if I put my arm on the armrest? What if his arm is there? Is that too much touching for a first date? Should I cross my legs? Oh no - my knees are showing! Can I ask to open the window or will that make me seem too needy? Geez, I really hate this radio station.....Where on earth is he taking me???
Then there is the whole getting out of the car in 4-inch heels with a pencil skirt issue. It's an outfit that's made to look cute - when you're standing! Getting out of the car elegantly can be tricky. Thank goodness Jewish boys dont open car doors for their dates - then they would really get a show! Good thing I'm not pulling a britney tonight!

7 comments:

smb said...

lol, yep it could be pretty akward

Anonymous said...

nice post...
still trying to figure why would a guy ask u to take a ride with him as a first date...
there isnt going to be any kissing or he should invite you to a hotel.
thinking about it, what if i invite you on my motorbike? that would be funny, you trying to sit with a pencil skirt!!!
how about getting out of a sports car with low sets?.

bottom line... dont go riding for a first date...lol
if you want to get out of the area, why not meet him there to begin with, that way if you like him you can leave him high and dry...

chanie said...

alex- Im not sure how it works in Europe, but in North America the boy usually picks up the girl to get to the date. the date isnt "driving" -especially with the price of gas sky high, i think a steak dinner for two is cheaper-the driving is merely an annoying ordeal of getting TO the date.

anyways, i like when the guy picks me up on a date. i get to see certain things about him. for instance, when he arrives outisde, does he honk, call, or come to the door? does he open doors for you? does he blast the radio? what kind of music does he play? and most importantly -do you feel like you're gonna die a terrible death because of his driving? major points off...

Anonymous said...

well chanie in that case i should ask you out for a date!!!
lets see why...
a: the prices of gas in europe are probabaly double than the US, so i will be able to drive you as far as heaven!
b: i wouldnt honk.. i would probably bring you a bunch of flowers and open the car door(if i am allowed...)
c: honest! almost everyone says they feel comfortable while i am driving, even when i do drive fast. (i think it is the confidance as well as years of experience and not syuffering from road rage).
d: no problem with the music... as i think you are inteligent and i would rather spend time talking to you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

awww! This site is even creating matches!

frum single female said...

yes, when i was doing more of the shidduch date thing i remember how awkward it was riding in a car with someone ive never met. now when i go on blind dates ive met over frumster or jdate i meet them in a public place. now that i think of it i should have done this yrs ago on shidduch dates with guys even the shadchan barely knew.

Maidel said...

public places is the way to go! meet for coffee, and if the date sucks, say you've got to run home to catch material maidel's latest post!