Wednesday, March 4, 2009

mini marthas

What's with all the Martha wannabes in Brooklyn?
I appreciate the talent of some women to create gorgeous cookies and cakes and challahs and table settings, but when everyone is just out to out-Martha the next housewife, it gets kind of lame.
I hate how people will serve certain dishes just because everyone else is.
Like how the 'in thing' right now is to serve peeled mandarins in a crystal vase (seriously, I like to peel my own fruit, thank you very much, and I probably won't touch it knowing that someone else's hands were all over it).
Or how literally everyone in Brooklyn serves a sweet apple or other fruit 'kugel' alongside the main course (this is not really new, but unfortunately never went out of style - I mean let's call it like it is - it's cake, not kugel, and cake and chicken don't go together where I come from).
And then there are all the Susie Fishbein ideas that everyone uses - I have to say her cookbooks are really creative and have good recipes - but does everyone need to make the exact same chocolate cake?
I don't mind that women try hard to make a Shabbos table look and taste nice (you know I do the same in my house, and I'm not even a housewife - yet [IYH]). But some originality would be appreciated. Or am I expecting too much from women who all dress alike?

8 comments:

Squeak said...

Ditto to the sweet kugels. I always wait until after I'm finished eating all the "real" food before taking the apple, squash, or cranberry kugel.

To me those kugels are a warm-up for dessert:)

Ookamikun said...

I never even look in cookbooks. Following recipes...bleh...make stuff up as I go.
Made Japanese curry based on this music video. (Onna means woman in Jap)

Anonymous said...

Moshe-
How did the curry turn out?

Anonymous said...

Moshe-
How did the curry turn out?

Dina said...

Word on the kugel.

Moshe, I sometimes make recipes out of novels.

Becky said...

new reader here, hello! I am someone who is not cut from the same cookie, you described. I have gotten creative over the years with all my dishes, but they do get boring. It does happen that people run out of ideas, or don't have time to open up the cookbook and try something new. Or sometimes new guests come and you know there is that one dish that everyone loves so you don't want to chance messing something up. Sometimes kugel as a side dish doesnt get eaten but a lot of the time the sweet cake type dishes do (but not by my husband who refuses to eat cake before dessert).
Just standing up for the minority here. Just an idea, maybe you can come up with some fun things, type it up and slide it under the door of the host you might be eating by.

Ookamikun said...

Very good.
I started making onigiri after watching an anime, don't remember which one in particular though.

Ookamikun said...

Dina, did you get Nanny Ogg's cookbook?