Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Nota Bene: 'Out-of-Town' doesn't exist

This is a message to all of you NY-ers out there who either failed your Geography Regents or have never left the Tri-State area (and for the sake of this post, I'm including the American side of Israel known as Eretz Yisroel and South Florida during winter in this definition - because let's face it - where else does a Jew travel?).
I know that I've talked about being from 'Out-of-Town'. That's only because I figured that if I named an actual city, you wouldn't know where I was talking about. (sorry for the diss peeps - you know i still luv ya. and NO, I am still not going to name that city...)
I actually wrote about this whole subject in one of my first posts, back in 1982.... ok, it was May 2008, just wanted to make sure you were still following. If you need a refresher, click here.
But truth is - there is no such place as Out-of-Town. You people made it up.
And I HATE it.
Not that you made it up, but that such a label continues to exist.
Because it just doesn't make any sense.
The only thing that Torontonians and Bostonians have in common is that they probably both have mutual hate (and envy) of you people.
So, please, next time you speak to someone who doesn't sound like Fran Drescher, try and refrain from brushing all non NY natives with the Out-of-Town brush. Because (geography lesson coming up).....there is no such place.

18 comments:

Dina said...

Actually, I am told that Detroit is both Out-of-Town and "a Pacific island like Hawaii or something." No joke.

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Ookamikun said...

Anything outside the 5 boroughs, buripark, williamsburg, midwood, flutbush and monroe, is out of town.

G6 said...

Reminds me of the famous New Yorker cover depicting the narrow minded geographical "world view" of the typical New York resident.
Great post!

Ookamikun said...

lol
though it's missing the "there be dragons"

Anonymous said...

There are only two geographic locations in the world: In Town, and Out of Town. This is not just a religious differentiation. Any New Yorker refers to places outside the borough as "out of town."

frum single female said...

ahh, my favorite topic. the thing is that when i lived outside of the ny tristate area it was so much fun to see how much like a fish out of water new york natives seemed when they were in my native city. we would count the minutes until they moved back to their "holyland".
btw, i have lived in ny for years and years, but im still b"h considered an "out of towner". my midwest accent endures.
i think that nyers are egocentric, but being an"out of towner" is a compliment. it usually means you are a nicer person.
i thing as far as bloggers go, they happen to live in ny, so when they write about elsewhere they write " out of town" everywhere else isnt in town for them. if i lived in the midwest, new york would be out of town for me.

Maidel said...

ok - maybe i should start using the term to talk about people not from MY city....

Maidel said...

great cover by the way G6!

4ron said...

Hate to be obnoxious but I can't resist:
As a new yorker I totally agree as far as I'm concerned these so called out of town places really don't exist

Maidel said...

then you probably fit into one of the two categories mentioned in the opening line of this post.

Anonymous said...

Is NJ/CT considered 'outta town'?

Anonymous said...

Didn't you mention something about Baltimore?
http://materialmaidel.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-guess-im-just-really-bad-with-names.html
Or was that a placeholder?

Anonymous said...

Didn't you mention something about Baltimore?

Or was that a placeholder?

Anonymous said...

I should probably write a post on this topic. I range from out-of-town, out-of-state, and out-of-continent.

Anonymous said...

she never said she was from baltimore

reread tha post!

harry-er than them all said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
harry-er than them all said...

when i was in camp, they had a neighborhood day competition, the teams were flatbush vs out-of-flatbush.
oh and they considered kensington and midwood as part of flatbush.