Friday, October 24, 2008

people are racist

My asian co-worker said she hopes Obama doesn't win because she doesn't think a black guy should be President. Not because she's racist, but because she thinks black people are racist against everyone else.
How many times have you been asked by a non-hebrew fellow human whether your parents would care if you brought home a Kanye West wannabe?
I always respond that as long as he's part of the tribe, then he can vibe. (ok, ok, I tried to be cutesy, it didnt work. keep reading)
But truth is, I think my parents would probably care a great deal. Not because of color - they're not racist, G-d forbid! But if a boy's momma doesn't serve gefilte, then he ain't coming to my house.

7 comments:

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

I had a situation where someone was looking for a place to stay, to rent, and I remembered this Jewish black girl who was looking for a roomate, so I gave the girl her number without thinking twice, I then thought to myself perhaps she would mind that the girl isn't white. But then she was totally cool with it. The place wasn't for her, but the colored girl helped her find a place to stay which worked out.

Anonymous said...

colored girl?
babysitter, sounds like you're the racist...

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

I never know what word to use, so I used 3 different ones. But I'm not racist. I happen to be good friends with some of them and their very nice.

Anonymous said...

i have to agree with baruch....

"i happen to be good friends with some of them" - thats so cliche!

and even the fact that you were worried whether your friend would mind rooming with a black girl - craziness. why would anyone even think to care about that!

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

Emily: ok, sorry for sounding cliche?

well I dunnno, everyone is different, I might not care about it, but I have to be sensitive to what other people care about.

I am afraid of dogs and won't babysit by people who have dogs. If someone warns me that a family has a dog, does that make them a racist of dogs because they were looking out for me?

Anonymous said...

babysitter - you're likening black people to dogs now?

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

baruch: nope I'm not.

I was just using it as an example.