Thursday, October 16, 2008

anything wrong with being plastic?


Like every other Jewish girl, I decided to go for a nose job consultation.


There's a plastic surgeon's office in the building where I worked this summer and every time I passed it, it looked so gorgeous and inviting - all white marble floors, chiffon curtains, gorgeous hot pink faux Louis couches, like straight out of the Cribs or a magazine. Not like any other medical office I've ever been to.


And like every other Jewish girl, I'm a little self-conscious about my nose. It's not that I have a horrible bump or a huge beak, and my friends think I'm nuts when it comes to this, but I do think my tip could be a little more refined.


So I decided to make an appointment for a consult with Dr. P., apparently so renowned in my city for his work that they've named what many Jewish girls now have - the "Dr. P nose".


I didn't end up going through with the procedure - although the Doc said he could see my 'problem' and that it would take less than a week to heal - because a) my parents thought i was insane for even going for the consult and b)if my parents aren't paying, then I certainly can't afford to pay the 10G + taxes fee.


So while I never went through with it, it still kind of sits in the back of my mind - 'someday', i think to myself, 'maybe when they've perfected the procedure and no one comes out looking like Pam Anderson ever again' and 'maybe when I marry some rich octogenarian billionaire' then I'll get some work done.


But then I have my conscience, or is it my mom's voice in my head, telling me that tampering with G-d's work is WRONG, wrong, wrong.


Is it wrong to get work done? I've heard some Rabbis say that it could be, because you are putting yourself in an unnecessarily risky situation (didn't you hear what happened to Kanye's mom???). Some Rabbis say it's ok if you need it for psychological reasons (like if you were to find that your big nose drives you crazy - literally!).
And then there's that whole deal where once you start, it's hard to stop! (it def is hard to get a refined nose tip right! you don't turn into wacko jacko overnight!)


so it looks like i'm prob not getting a nosejob anytime soon.
but botox when I'm 70 is definitely in the cards!

8 comments:

EsPes said...

"Like every other Jewish girl"

stereotype much? i have no problem with my nose

Anonymous said...

ditto to what espes wrote.

frum single female said...

i think that these days we are living too much in the age of plastic surgery. ive seen one too many rich socialites with plastic surgery and most dont look too cute. just think joselyn wildenstein who had one too many proceedures or the author olivia goldsmith who died having plastic surgery. im sure that you look beautiful just the way you are. and as for aging, wrinkles look better than botox and plasitc surgery. you will still be able to smile and close your eyes when you sleep and have enough money for retirement.

Maidel said...

oy vey. no one gets my humor.
stereotypes are what makes the world go round!

Anonymous said...

fsf: "not all jews have big noses" -- I didn't say anything about my having a small nose. I actually have a slightly larger than average nose in my opinion. It's just that I have no problem with my nose.

SuperRaizy said...

I don't think that there's anything wrong with having a nose job if it will truly make you happier. You just have to be careful not to go searching for perfection, because there is no such thing and you're bound to end up disappointed.

Anonymous said...

I believe that if you study the features of women that you think are truly beautiful you'll find some little imperfection that changes pretty into beautiful. Having said that, I've seen nose jobs that totally transformed faces from almost ugly to pretty...and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

I'm saving up for a breast lift in like 20 years when I have finished having babies and breastfeeding.