Wednesday, February 24, 2010

kissing & not telling

I'll admit that I can be pretty superstitious ...but I was raised with a red string around my wrist.

I believe in ayin harah and jinxing and being careful about what I say (even though I do occasionally suffer from foot-in-mouth syndrome). Maybe it sounds stupid and irrational, but I know there are some things that even the most logical person cannot explain.

That's why I don't like to talk about upcoming or recent dates - with anyone.

My friends know this - and probably hate this - about me.

Because sometimes it means they get more info from reading MM than they do from asking me in 'real life'.

But I hate 'talking' - all it ever does is complicate stuff. And from past experience, 'talking' can sometimes ruin a good thing.

I don't even like hearing anything - if my friend is dating is someone, I'd rather only find out when it's actually serious. Otherwise - what's the point? I get hopeful, and when it doesn't work out between the two of them, I get heartbroken and end up feeling like a child of a breakup (and no, my parents are not divorced). 

Maybe I'm just being crazy - but aren't we all entitled to a little mishigas?

5 comments:

SuperRaizy said...

It's not mishegas. It's called discretion, and God bless you for having it, because almost nobody does anymore.

Data said...

If more of us kept our yaps shut, we wouldn't have all these invented crises . . .

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

אל תפתח פה לשטן כתיב...

Maidel said...

good to know im not alone on this one! thanks guys!

Shades of Grey said...

I definitely agree that talking about dating is a big no-no. It's no one else's business except for the two daters (and the shadchan until he/she is dropped). I also feel bad when I hear about friend's shidduchim not working out (moreso if I happen to know both of them). I try my best not to hear anything about what's going on with friends. The only news worth hearing is the announcement of an engagement!