Sunday, January 17, 2010

when being a golddigger just wont do

I was recently set up with this fabulously wealthy guy - great catch for a material maidel right? While his looks didn't rival that of Channing Tatum, he certainly wasn't atrocious - definitely dateable. He also seemed really friendly and outgoing. Didn't exactly come off as an Einstein, which would normally bother me - but I figured if he had made all that money that he had to have some brains.
I didn't bother to do too much of a reference-check on him though - big mistake.
His family is pretty well known so I thought it wasn't really necessary. But then one night my mother happened to mention a friend of hers who is from the same neighborhood as this guy - and so I asked my mother to look into it. Can I just say THANK THE GOOD L-RD ABOVE for making the Jewish world a nice small one? Yentas are definitely great for somethings.
So I learned that while he did indeed have a lot of cash in the bank, the cash was most probably obtained by illegal means - think Madoff. That's when I did a Google search. And then I found a friend who's a lawyer to 'background' check this guy. Turns out he's been found guilty of fraud.
Great catch?
I told a friend at school about this guy and she was actually upset that I dumped him. Why? Because I could have made a ton of money getting a divorce from him in a year or two.
Interesting idea...
But chances are guys like this also lie on their income statements...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awful!!! Who in the world would set you up with someone like that???

Rabba bar bar Chana said...

I told a friend at school about this guy and she was actually upset that I dumped him. Why? Because I could have made a ton of money getting a divorce from him in a year or two.

If your friend was actually serious, you should ask her how her suggestion differs from prostitution.

Anonymous said...

@ Rabba bar bar Chana.

It's more long term then the traditional one night stand. :p

ysh said...

good move, MM. Definitely stay far away!

Ookamikun said...

VIN commenters would probably defend him for earning money for his family. So next time you should make sure and let the person setting you up know that the guy's wealth should not be coming from any traditional Jewish ventures. ;-)

(not) The Girl Next Door said...

Scary, hmmm... how did you get set up with this guy anyway? seriously ditch the wealthy guys; there tends to be a catch somewhere in the contract.

Data said...

Hey, NTGND, don't hate on the wealthy boys. It is possible for someone to have big money and be honest, after all, all paupers are honest, right?

lvnsm said...

That's creepy, we need to be extra careful nowadays

Maidel said...

rabba bar chana - very interesting point. but then, wasn't marriage essentially a business deal just a few years ago?