Tuesday, January 5, 2010

helllo 2010

I was going to write a post entitled 'Good Riddance 2009' but decided that sounded too glass-is-half-empty. 2009 was a pretty shitty year, globally and personally. The economy went to sh$t. Swine flu happened. Three people who were very close to my heart tragically passed away. I don't think I've ever cried more in my life. I would have told you but Material Maidels can't share everything.

Instead I'll share with you a dvar torah/challenge that my Rabbi spoke about on Rosh Hashanah - the real New Year.

I can't remember the exact details, but I think he called it the Stay Positive Challenge. He challenged us not to cut everything negative from our lives - but to deal with things in a more happy fashion. To try not to have a bad thought or say a bad word against someone. To not react with anger when something happens, but to look at it as a test, that everything happens for the betterment of our lives. To make 'Gam Zeh L'Tovah' our motto. To regard other people favorably. I think part of his challenge included wearing a bracelet on one wrist - and then if you ever said or felt something negative, you would have to put the bracelet on the other wrist. The challenge was to wear the bracelet on the same wrist for 7 days straight.

While I never remembered to try the challenge after Rosh Hashanah, maybe I'll make this my 2010 new year's resolution.

You don't have to try this at home.

But I do hope that you and your loved ones have a very, very happy and positive 2010 :)

3 comments:

Dan said...

That's great! I was personally having a tough day at work on Sunday, and decided to tweet as a reminder to myself to stay positive and that everything is in Hashem's hands, such things as Gam Zu Letovah, Ein Od Milvado, and Ivdu es Hashem B'Simcha. You know what? It worked! :)

Ookamikun said...

Close to 10 of my friends got engaged/married in 09.

ilona@israel said...

oh yes you are right- what is more 2009 started with the war between us and gaza... though we did not really feel crisis here in israel many people used the situation, lots of people were fired, salaries became lower. i hope this year will be good one))) and ty for pretty interesting blogging.