Tuesday, December 8, 2009

getting old - er

So one of my very dear friends, Zahara, just celebrated her big 3-0. (happpy birthday girl!)

The nice thing about having friends who are older than you, is that you get to stay young-er longer. The nice thing about having an 'older' friend like Zahara is that you realize that 30 isn't as scary as you once thunk. Thirty does not equal wrinkles or gray hair or the end of youth. Zahara is one of the most energetic, fun-loving, gorgeous, hysterical people I know (and did I mention, single? altho... I have a feeling this won't be for too long). If her turning 30 gives me a teeny glimpse into my own not-so-distant future (because let's face it - time flies when you're out of high school), then I'm not worried.


I don't think there is anything more sad or more pathetic than someone who is in their 30s, 40, whatever (well, maybe someone who is in their 20s) and seems to walk around with a 'still single & desperate' sign across their forehead. It's actually one of my pet peeves about living in NYC -EVERYONE is on the meet market and everyone is obsessed with finding their 'perfect' match - and it's all everyone seems to talk about. I've met so many girls in NYC (come to think of it, most my age) whose favorite topics of convo are dating, sheitels and wedding halls (maybe they all need to get their own blogs to get it all out). And the absolute worst thing that could happen to one of these girls is to end up 30 and (G-d forbid) single. Which could explain why girls who are 30+single in the city seem to have such hateful looks on their faces...

Right now, 30+single isn't something I'm planning on, and I'll admit, it does sound a little frightening. But then, so does 30+broke or 30+jobless.

Thank G-d for friends like Z!

7 comments:

Single on the Scene said...

I also have a friend like that-she's sooo young-minded, funloving, 'tigger-like' and its awesome to be around someone so down-to-earth, HAPPY, and normal! G-d Bless Friends like that!

Anonymous said...

That's the funny thing about NYC - soooo many single girls/women.

Anonymous said...

Um, it's not the single and being thirty that is scary...

Let's face it... it's the being thirty and still a virgin (for those that believe in no sex before marriage)... I'm just saying what's really on the back of everyones mind. Don't shoot the messenger.

Ookamikun said...

Better than being a 40 Year Old Virgin :-D

Anonymous said...

you'r mourning her like she's 50,
relax everyone gets their chance in life

smb said...

It's true, a positive attitude makes all the difference.

free dating said...

Watch these and see what you think. Please leave a comment about your views… All are welcome What the??? Hmmmm ……….. What do you think about this? [...]