Thursday, April 2, 2009

we want Moshiach.... now?

This post is dedicated to all my lubie besties out there who think I might be one too...

I was having lunch with some friends and somehow we started talking about Moshiach (maybe it was the real closet lubie at the table). My friends and I were all kind of relieved to know that we shared similar thoughts about the subject.

We all want Moshiach to come. But do we really feel ready for it? Shouldn't we all strive to become super-Jews before that time comes? You know... like to make sure we're on the good side? (team Moshiach! rather than on that other team that's supposed to get punished or whatever - which is pretty much one of the reasons I'm kind of scared for that next era - or maybe I just learned about it wrong)

It's not that I don't think I'm 'good'. I think I'm ok. But I know I could be more good. And I know when I'm being 'bad'. I think we all know when we're being 'bad' or not so good. And while that's happening, we just ignore that little voice that sounds like Jiminy cricket. We blame it on our yetzer harah. But let's face it - we're the ones that make the little choices in life that add up to the big picture.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

editorial note - new title: "get married... now?"

the freud in me explains the post this way: a group of girls who have watched too much SATC on HBO helping convince themselves they are not ready to get married.

as for the lubie issue, my advice is to put the spade away and stop digging!

Anonymous said...

think about it as if you are a child who was sent to thier room and punished and your parents as hashem.

You being punished in your room is like being sent to golus. Can you imagine yourself as a child thinking "I won't tell my parents I want to come out, I'm gonna stay in my room until I think I'm good enough to be unpunished."

Of course you'd want to be unpunished. Of course you'd ask your parents, telling them you want to come out.

As for whether we're good or not, we being punished, we want to be good so we can get out of golus/the room.

Anonymous said...

I don't see the contradiction.

Wanting Moshiach to come, goes hand in hand with working on yourself and making yourself a better person.

The two co-exist, you want Moshiach to come so the world can be 'perfect', but at the same time you try and perfect it as much as you can with our limited resources now....

Anonymous said...

Hope for Moshiach because thats exactly what the world needs. Work on yourself at the same time. Think about how working on yourself is bringing yourself closer to Moshiach and happiness...

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

you've got a lot of anonymous commenters here.

true, I think this is a normal reaction, we all want Moshiach to come and want to be on the good side, but yet we have the yetzer hora...

Woodrow/Conservadox said...

I always thought that either:

1) Moschiah would MAKE us all perfect- that's what makes him Moschiah; or alternatively

2) Moschiah won't come UNTIL we are all perfect, in which case you can relax since it ain't happening soon.

Dave said...

It is a mistake to believe that Moshiach will come as a Jew. Neither God nor his assistants have any religion. This is what the next savior (Moshiach/Mahdi/Christ) will look like http://www.shareintl.org/maitreya/Ma_main.htm