Tuesday, January 6, 2009

taking advantage of women

This post is about Automobile Mechanics. Ok - you probably didn't expect that from the post title.

But I was at the garage the other day - on my own - asking for an estimate to get a little boo-boo fixed on my car.

The guy there said he would do me a 'favor' and ONLY charge me $200 to get the part replaced.

I may not know anything about cars, but I know that you ALWAYS get a second opinion about these things.

Good thing my uncle was once a mechanic - he left me know that the actual retail value of the part was about 1/4 of the price quoted to me and that the job would take less than 10 minutes.

I let him take the car in for me to another garage - and sure enough, I paid waaaay less than $200.

I know I'm just bringing up a stereotype here - but seems like some stereotypes are true!

But one thing's for sure - never underestimate a woman!

9 comments:

Originally From Brooklyn said...

"But one thing's for sure - never underestimate a woman!"

Because they may just have a relative that can do the same thing for way less. lol.

EsPes said...

lol yea i refuse to take my car in... i make my father do it. cuz i know ill fall for anything

Anonymous said...

It's also mechanics in Jewish areas. I work in a non-heeb part of Long Island and I pay around half of what it would cost me if I did the work in my own neighborhood. Also, the guys in my neighborhood are much less willing to fix small problems and instead want to replace big parts. Bottom line is find a mechanic in a non-Jewish neighborhood.

Shorty said...

These are things i do, as i admit, know nothing about cars:

i bring a friend (usually male) with me who knows about cars

whatever they tell is "broke", i tell me to show me, and then show me a new one, to show me why its broken

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

It's really true. My prof told us that cars really don't have a set price to them, there's a basic price which you bargain down from. he said that woman always walk away with a more expensive price than men. That's because woman don't know much about cars to bargain about, while the men do.

and yea, I like that line "never underestimate a woman!" reminds me of some clever jokes.

Also, there was a blonde joke about how the mechanic ripped her off. He charged her for headlight fluid, and all these ridiculous stuff.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

the smart woman poem:

"He didn't like the casserole
And he didn't like my cake.
My biscuits were too hard...
Not like his mother used to make.

I didn't perk the coffee right
He didn't like the stew,
I didn't mend his socks
The way his mother used to do.

I pondered for an answer
I was looking for a clue.
Then I turned around and smacked him...

Like his Mother used to do."

kinda mean though...

Anonymous said...

looove that poem!

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

thanx, glad you liked it

btw, great video on woman being the boss.

Beaware of the DogHouse

Squeak said...

Not just women. I'm a guy and I know nothing about cars. I'm pretty sure that I was constantly getting ripped off until I started using a frum mechanic that I trust.