Tuesday, December 16, 2008

i want latkes


Ever notice that most latke recipes call for the same ingredients, but yet no two latkes are ever alike?

Or the fact that the BEST latkes can only be made by your mother and Bubbie?

In my family, the boys are in charge of getting all the potatoes peeled and processed, while the girls add the special ingredients and fry them up.

And I must say, my Bubbie's latkes are THE best.

They look a lot like the ones in this picture, which is why I chose it over other more professional-looking pics.

A lot of the 'potato pancakes' out there look pretty goyish. You know, the Martha Stewart kind that's shredded instead of pulverized, or tastes like dough, and served with caviar or made with zuchini. Not saying the other latke-wannabes aren't yummy.

But give me a plate of my Bubbie's latkes, served piping hot with some smetana or some applesauce, and I'm ready for Chanukah!

5 comments:

NotaGeek! said...

Those latkes look yummy in the pic.......
And Martha Stewart has no chance of winning over bubbie style latkes....

Cynic said...

In my family my father makes the latkes....and they are the best I have ever eaten!

Mikeinmidwood said...

I a Sufganiot fan.

daughtersintheparsha said...

what is smetana??

Anonymous said...

it's sour cream!