Thursday, October 2, 2008

parking with boys

The way I knew it when I was growing up, "parking" with a boy meant that the two of you were sitting in his dad's car overlooking some lookout point, doing things you wouldn't dream telling your parents about.
But, today, I learned that "parking" with a boy has a whole other connotation in the Chassidish world.
My friend Shaindy and I were driving over to our favorite shopping destination when we saw two Chassids, a guy with a beard and a girl who looked like she was still in high school, walking around the parking lot.
"I wonder what they're up to....", I asked Shaindy. She knows a lot more about the khaki tights world than I do.
"Well, obviously - they're on a date Material Maidel!", she replied.
Now, I've heard of sit-ins. But park-ins are a whole new frontier.
In case you've been living in a ModOrth bubble, a sit-in is where a Chassidish bochur goes over to a girl's home and they spend 30 minutes deciding whether they're willing to spend the rest of their lives together. (a Chassidish girl I know explained the process to me, and apparently the parents wait in the kitchen for hand signals from the girl to know when to interrupt)
A park-in, from what I just learned, is where the two sets of parents drive their single children over to a mall parking lot, let the singles hop out of their respective minivans for a few minutes and go on their "date".
It sounds pretty romantic.

4 comments:

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

wow, I've never heard of such a thing, but that does sound better than the sit in option. At least here they are both in unknown property. Rather than in one of their houses.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the post 9-11 version of the airport date. Since you really cant get into the airport much anymore.

Anonymous said...

Come on, "Chasids"?

It's Chasidim, thanks.

Maidel said...

airport date? please tell me!