Thursday, October 30, 2008

jewish mothers

"What are you doing tonight, MM?", asked my mother last Motzei Shabbos.

"Just staying in, maybe I'll go rent a movie with friends", I responded.

"Mrs. X-berg told me about this party for young people tonight".

"Ya mom, I know about that."

"And, so, nu? Why aren't going? You could meet someone there."

***

For some reason, my mom and I keep having this same conversation over and over, with only the details about the party, and who she's heard about it from, being changed. My mom knows a lot about the out-of-town-scene for a woman who goes to bed at 11.
I have friends with moms just like mine.
Moms who get excited when we go for Shabbat dinners or Shabbatons or Parties - because we could "meet" someone.
It's not that I'm antisocial. I may write a blog, but I enjoy other forms of human interaction and communication quite frequently. Wow - that was a nerdy sentence. (I promise, I was not in band nor did I spend time in the library during recess in high school. And I hate math.)
But there are nights when my friends and I are just not in the mood to party. Having a casual sleepover is sometimes a lot more fun. (I know what you boys are thinking right now. Stop.)
Of course, I really shouldn't complain. My mom's the best. And she wants the best for me. And she can't help being a little pushy sometimes - it's part of being a jewish mother after all. And one day, I'm going to be just like her. Oy vey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it incredibly interesting how in the span of a few years shes gone from being worried that I'm going out to meet girls to being worried that I'm not going out and meeting girls...

Maidel said...

hahahaha

it's a good thing though!

i have a single friend, in her late 20s, who's mother STILL won't let her talk to boys!