Wednesday, October 8, 2008

have a meaningful fast

My dear friend Maya came up with this term and I thought it sounded so much better than "easy".
After all, surely we may all agree that Yom Kippur is a day of seriousness, reflection and meaning. There is nothing easy about it.
As I mentioned in a comment on Frum Satire's site, during the Yamim Noraim I often find myself glancing over to the English side of my artscroll siddur (or is it nusach ari? chabad? but who's keeping track - they are all directed to Hashem). If you've never done this, I highly suggest it - unless your Hebrew is flawless, it is nice to really understand the words as you say them. You realise how perfectly the siddur was put together. How beautifully the words fit.
I sometimes put in my own words to Hashem, have my own little discussion going.
So I wish you all a Gmar Chatima Tovah. May you and your families be inscribed in the Book of Life. May you only know good things for this year and many years to come. May all of your needs and wishes be fulfilled properly and in the right time.
And of course, have a meaningful fast.

6 comments:

Tanya said...

Gmar chatima tova to you too!
May all your bakashos and tefillos be answered with a "good hand" and from a a source of chessed.

btw, What are you doing up at 2:15?

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now and have been enjoying it, but I have an overwhelming need to correct something you said. Your friend Maya did not, in fact, come up with the term "Have a meaningful fast." I don't know your friend Maya and I've been saying this since I was about 14 years old (nearly 10 years ago -- eek!). I'm not saying I made it up because I definitely did not, I just needed to clarify that point. Ah, I feel better now. Have a sweet and meaningful new year (and fast)!

Maidel said...

well Maya was the one who introduced me to the phrase, so I gotta give credit where credit is due!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You definitely do. I was just being (somewhat factiously) anal. :-P

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

Amen!
G'Mar Chasima Tova!
I always say "Have a meaningful and easy fast!" because of exactly what you said.
I never tried davening in English or my own words, yet, but perhaps I'll give it a try.