Sunday, September 7, 2008

why r frummies haters?

I saw this film in the Hamptons this summer, which you should definitely catch if you haven't already seen it.
It's called Arranged and it's about a friendship between a young Frum girl and a young Muslim girl and their somewhat similar dating lives.
(here's a link to the film website: http://www.arrangedthemovie.com/ )
A friend of mine, Perry, wanted to have a screening of the film in order to raise money for her Jewish organization, which is pretty well-known in the Frum community where she lives.
BUT, because the film kind of 'promotes' friendship with non-Jews, and especially Muslims, no one from the frum community will come to the screening.
I'm not saying frummies have to turn into liberal arab-loving tree-huggers, but why does being a hater have to be the norm? Can't we all get along? (or maybe I'm being naive?)

6 comments:

Originally From Brooklyn said...

Judaism doesn't believe in pluralism. That is the type of thing that getting along brings about. If we "get along" then...idols..women..killing...the end of the world.

MAK said...

I was friendly with a Muslim girl for a semester, as I recall one of our conversations was about how similiar our religions were. I know I'd watch that.

Lion of Zion said...

yeah, you're just being naive.

Jacob Da Jew said...

Frummies accepting? Nah.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

I actually watched that movie, it was interesting, but It didn't leave me with the impression that it was so good. It's nice when they get along. I've had Arabs in my class and I didn't feel any hate toward them. I actually thought one of them was very smart. Even now there's this guy who I can't tell if he's an arab or not, he has the coloring, but he's always friendly with the Jewish people in the class.

But the film just isn't such a kosher one. It's been a while since I saw it. But I remember it did portray Jews pretty good, but still a Jewish tam was missing.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Lion of Zion. You're being naive. Just walk into any bais yaakov and you'll hear about "THE GOY".

I mentioned that I spoke to the guy sitting next to me on a flight to St. Louis, and I was getting looks

"You SPOKE to him?"
"What did he say?!?"

Stupid people are ethnocentric for the wrong reasons