Tuesday, May 27, 2008

are small-towners nicer people?

this post definitely applies to both guys and girls.
I don't know about you, but i've recently found that people who come from small towns are generally a lot nicer than us "big city folk".
I went to visit a friend I know from seminary who lives in a small town, the kind where everyone knows your name, where there is one GAP, one Starbucks, a giant Wal-Mart and a Target that is supposedly going to open in a year. Where everyone goes to the pub on Main Street or to the movies to have fun.
You know what I mean, don't you? Surely some of my readers have left the city at least once - at the very least, you snuck out of camp to go to the aforesaid small town Wal-Mart.
While I was there for the Memorial Day Weekend, I discovered that there are some places where store employees actually smile and mean it when they ask if you need help. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and down to earth. Not to mention the cute guys that all look like they only wear American Eagle or L.L.Bean .... I even met this male model who was so friendly and acted so unlike what I would normally expect from a male model.
I wonder if it's the small-town-ess or the fact that these guys are not Jewish that makes them seem so nice and polite and soo not snobby or cocky..... Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, and yes. In a small town it's like you're part of a team. Just seeing someone else in your town, it's like, if you're here in this small town and I'm here in this small town we must have something in common. Plus niceness is infectious. Oh, how I miss my small town days... :(

jwander said...

Well, No Daaa!

This is not a chidush...