Friday, February 6, 2009

i need a manicure

One of the things I heart about Brooklyn is the $5 manicure on every corner.
Where I live in Out-of-Town, a salon mani sets me back at least $20 plus tax and tip and even the Asians (I'm not being racist - they're always Asians) charge $15 or $9 for a polish change.
That can really add up if you're someone like me, who still hasn't figured out how to use scissors with her left hand.
I don't get manis as often as some of my friends (Shaindy, Andrea, you know I'm talkin about you - seriously, the Asians barely know two words in English, but they know these girls' names and fave Essie colors). And I only get manis if my nails are looking semi-nice to begin with - you know, they have to be a certain length before I make an appointment. And then I wait until all of the polish from my last appointment has grown out or been scratched off so that I get to feel like I'm really getting my money's worth (I know, how Jewish).
I always get a little spooked by the idols in the store - am I contributing to Avoda Zarah while I get pretty? Or am I supposed to be respectful of their culture? Or is it bad that I laugh to myself when they 'feed' their idols stale kosher wafers?
Wow, I just jumped from manicures to idol worship. I guess that's how I put the maidel in the material.

13 comments:

EsPes said...

i know what u mean- whenever i go to NY i feel like i HAVE to get a manicure since its sooo cheap there!

Ookamikun said...

Bow to Buddha, gwai loh!

NotaGeek! said...

"Out of town", lol
I was born in Out of town,USA...

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

and I still haven't got a manicure yet...lol

Maybe now I have an excuse to get one- because its a deal.

EsPes said...

babysitter- uve NEVER gotten a manicure?!?!

Anonymous said...

i KNOW! can you believe that?????

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

Espes and Tembow: lol, :-)
how old were you when you got your first manicure?

EsPes said...

i dont remember... it was too long ago! it wasnt 7yrs old like i see some of these kids in there... but maybe somewhere around 9th grade?

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

Espes: ok that makes sense.

I was actually gonna get a manicure at that time, for my brothers bar mitzvah, but that didn't happen, and another opportunity didn't come up. Although I was going to get one for "sweet sixteen" but again that didn't happen, lol.

tembow said...

i would say maybe when i was in 8th or 9th grade

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

Now I can finally really comment on this post!

I got my first manicure today!
It was 6 dollars, really cool how they massage your hands and everything.

I saw the place sold these "idol" things too, I thought it was only them, interesting that you mention it too, I guess their all Buddhist.

corti said...

Lol Jewishside, it used to be $5 now all the places raised their prices...

It's cute that you're updating everyone's blogs where you wrote that you never had a manicure ;) Congrats!

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

Auror: yea, it's almost a year later.

lol, I'm just so excited to be a "big girl now" :-p

and Thanx again!