Wednesday, January 28, 2009

the eyes of the community

Some of us like to pretend that we don't give a sh$t about what other people think. If you want to tell me that you don't care, you're either lying to me or lying to yourself. (hopefully not to me...)
Because despite what we may like to think, we do care about our reputations. We want people to like us, to think highly of us, that we're smart or pretty or funny or a good person (you know I'm all those, right?).
And sometimes because we want to ensure that our reps stay as shiny as possible, we do or don't do certain things because we suspect that other people might be watching.
Is it wrong to do something because you want to fit in with your community? Or because you're worried about what other people will think? Or because you want other people to think a certain way of you?
Or maybe Hashem meant for us to live together (rather than on separate islands, which by the way, I wouldn't mind being on right now). Maybe being a part of a society or a community helps us stay on track.
We don't always realize that Hashem is continuously watching our every move...
But we sure do see Mrs. Goldberg staring disapprovingly at our outfit.

10 comments:

comfortablynumb said...

Genarally people who dont or pretend not to give a sh*t are strongly dissatisfied with society or beleive theyre going about life the wrong way.Theres nothing wrong with wanting to fit in if your not giving up your beliefs in the process.You need to make sure youre not trading a brain malfunction in exchange for mere acceptence

Shorty said...

A lot about the Jewish religion is "looking" good...and smelling good...that is one of the reasons we smell the Besamim at the end of Shabbat. So yes, of course we worry about how we look in the eyes of others, because we are unfortunately constantly being evaluated. On the flip side, those who are doing the "judging" should spend a little less time being judgemental, and maybe a little more time being compassionate or maybe even be a teacher (but NOT preacher).

Unknown said...

I was going to comment but can't bring myself to write anything substantive and post it after someone with a Kach icon.

Anonymous said...

The people who pretend not to care do it because they don't want to have to change who they are to suit Any Mrs. Goldberg they want to be judged on who they really are and not on appearances. They are not lying they are being very truthful.

Ookamikun said...

I'm with collective. I don't care what people think. I do whatever I want and I say whatever I want. If you think I'm lying, ask any of the people from my shul or my shabbat guests.

btw, your poll's confusing. Did the deed and almost did the deed doesn't concern married people, right? And the other stuff, what if I did more than one of those things? Is it ate tref ever or while religious? How much skin?
You forgot "Own a shisha"

Anonymous said...

Moshe - I think the "deed" answers refer to before you were married.

Ookamikun said...

jessica

Newlywed couple, wedding night, kalla calls her mother and asks her what to do.
Her mother says, "he has to take his head and put it where you pish."
Five minutes later kalla calls again. "I don't think it's working. He put his head in the toilet but I don't feel anything happening."

Anonymous said...

even the people who pretend not to care and 'rebel' against a community still do to some extent care about the standards of their society.

Mikeinmidwood said...

A few days ago i realized some people dont feel embarrassment, its a fact. So no, people arent neccesarily liying.

Maidel said...

everyone feels embarassment - we just all have different threshholds!