Thursday, June 12, 2008

i want my cosmo

here's my question for the week: why don't religious weddings serve alcohol on the ladies' side?
my favorite part of any wedding (other than the feelings of joy for the happy couple and hours of partying) is the free kosher bar. I love my cosmos and pina coladas and weddings are usually the best place to get cocktails without having to worry whether the tequila the bartender is using has a worm in it. (i know, groosss huh?)
But i've noticed a trend at the "more frum" weddings that really irks the alcoholic and feminist in me - the trend where alcohol is only served on the men's side (and only the hard stuff, no girly drinks).
To be fair, the women's side normally gets the dessert table. but is that really fair? especially when most women are constantly dieting! Sure, drinks have calories too, but chocolate crepes have soo much more!
Why not get with the times, and bring equality to all? Let the guys and girls share the bar and the dessert table! All I know is I want my cosmo!

9 comments:

Tanya said...

Some drinks have more calories than your average dessert. Bummer.

Maidel said...

good point Tanya!

but the after-cake feeling isn't as good as the after-drink feeling!

Anonymous said...

To deal with the caloric content of mixed drinks, go with straight alcohol. It is to the point and less filling. Single malt drinking women rate high up in my books.

Anonymous said...

no comment adam...

Maidel said...

i see adam likes his floozies ;) jokes!

Sarah Likes Green said...

totally agree with you.
the best weddings i've been to have been the ones where the bar is available with liquors/cocktails etc for all :)

Lion of Zion said...

no etoh on the women's side because they should all be pregnant and thus not drinking

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it because it is not considered tzniut for a woman to imbibe. (Yet another reason I fail the tzniut test...)

Maidel said...

i dont think its tznius for anyone to overdrink! who said tznius rules should only apply to women?